We know that it can be daunting taking part in your first long-distance cycling holiday or mountain biking adventure. We want you to enjoy your biking trip as much as you possibly can, regardless of what weather conditions, trail conditions or mechanical failures you might encounter along your route. We've put together a list of webpages that might help you to pack and plan, and hopefully lower your panic levels, as you prepare for your cycle touring holiday, road cycling trip or mountain biking adventure.
It's all in the Planning...
- The Adventure Cycling Association has a great blog which includes this entry - http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/blog/10-things-you-might-think-you-need-for-a-long-distance-tour-but-dont/
- Wikitravel includes a useful article, giving tips for cycling trips - http://wikitravel.org/en/Tips_for_cycle_trips
- Sustrans is a British charity which maintains the National Cycle Network in the UK including the C2C, Coast and Castles, Way of the Roses and Hadrian's Cycleway. Here are some tips for planning your biking trip - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/change-your-travel/get-cycling/planning-your-cycle-routes
- Check out some great maps for planning your cycling or mountain biking journey here: http://www.freeworldmaps.net/europe/united-kingdom/scotland/map.html
...And Having the Right Gear
- Tredz is a British-based online bike retailer, stocking the latest biking gear - http://www.tredz.co.uk/
- Chain Reaction is one of the largest online retailer, stocking everything that you could possible need for your cycling holiday - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/
- Don't forget to have a look at our Kit List to make sure that you have everything that you're going to need for your trip.
- Here's a supplementary kit list - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/activityandadventure/7904293/Long-distance-cycling-recommended-equipment.html
Make Sure your Bike is Ready for your Journey
- The friendly staff at Keswick Bikes are fully qualified to service and repair your bike, whether it's a mountain bike, hybrid or road bike. They also stock a great range of bikes and accessories. http://www.keswickbikes.co.uk/
- Cyclewise are handily located at Whinlatter trail centre and offer mountain biking skills courses, bike hire as well as sales and servicing. http://www.cyclewise.co.uk/
It's a Good Idea to do Some Training
- Here's some really practical advice on ways to train for your cycling holiday - http://totalwomenscycling.com/fitness/how-to-prepare-for-a-long-distance-cycling-event-17878/
- And more information about training for long-distance cyle rides - http://www.livestrong.com/article/175281-how-to-train-for-a-long-bike-ride/
- Sir Chris Hoy very kindly shared some top cycling tips - http://roadcyclinguk.com/how-to/sir-chris-hoys-top-five-training-tips.html
But it's not all About the Biking
- If you're a fan of ice cream or cheese, a visit to Dumfries and Galloway wouldn't be complete without a detour to Cream o' Galloway, home of the creamiest ice cream in the world! www.creamogalloway.co.uk
- Our friends at Laggan Outdoor (www.lagganoutdoor.co.uk) offer a fantastic selection of both outdoor and indoor activities for all ages, regardless of the weather. Try out Scotland's longest zip wire!
- Galloway Activity Centre is based on the banks of beautiful Loch Ken and offers exctiting water-based activities as well as archery and orienteering. lochken.co.uk/home
- For the perfect base on your visit to South West Scotland, why not try the great holiday cottages at High Kirkland (www.highkirkland.co.uk), near the bustling town of Kirkcudbright.
- Acorn Guest House in Penrith (http://www.acorn-guesthouse.co.uk/index.html) offers very comfortable, flexible B&B accommodation close to the centre of town. It's perfectly situated on the C2C cycle route and can provide secure bike storage, free wi-fi and a large function room.
- If you're looking for something more luxurious, The North Lakes Hotel and Spa in Penrith has a pool, whirlpool, a great range of spa treatments and gym - just in case you've still got energy to burn after a day on the bike!